Old 08-07-2010, 06:25 AM
LadybugPam

I have quilted full sized quilt through my little Singer in halves. I created a quilt top in two sections; layered two sections of batting and backing. A full sized quilt - 80" x 100" is two (2) 40" x 100" pieces quilted up to 1" away from the connecting raw edge. Once both halves are quilted, I pull the batting and backing away from the quilt top and sew the quilt top together using a 1/4" seam allowance - and I will admit this is a slow careful process as now I am moving two heavy pieces on my sewing table. Now the two pieces are one quilt. I have laid the quilt on the floor - top side down - to cut the batting flush to itself and turn the raw edge of the backing by pressing it with an iron and handstitch it closed. I hate, and do not recommend, straight pins, so find a way to pin the back to the front and quilt down the middle to finish the quilt.
I have done two quilts this way - both times I whine and cry (in my head) that I will never do this again. But both times when I am finished I am proud and happy. I have a project in progress that I plan to quilt myself in my little Singer ... I hope to have photos of the progress to inspire you all. It might be a couple of months in the future.
I am going back to work on Monday!!