View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 PM
nana2

Our grandmothers, great grandmothers and generations of quilters before these had what we would consider primitive tools and methods to use for quilting. Yet there have been some very beautiful quilts from these times. We are now a generation that needs instant results -- Quilt In A Day!!! I fall into this catagory also. The site that someone references a little later in this post stated that one of the quilts which was quilted on a regular machine was nine months in the making. The quilting is the "heart" of the quilt. Would I have the patience to work for nine months on one project???? It would be difficult, but then I remember how much time many generations before us had to spend in creating their quilts and a lot of those quilts were needed for warmth in the winter. I would love having a long arm machine, but have never been able to justify spending that kind of money, especially in today's economy. Soooooooo as for myself, I will try to remember the patience of my ancestors and be glad that I have an electric sewing machine that I can use in a house with Central heat and air, have good lights, tools, a very comfortable chair and do not have to make quilts to keep the family safe and warm.