View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Chasing Hawk

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
The power supply was $145.00, when it was built. This is a custom made computer designed for online gaming and pc video games. It's 800 watts and glows a nice blue color. :) We live off of a dirt road, so keeping the insides clean is a monthly chore. So they can't say it was packed with dust bunnies...LOL
Youch, $145 just for the power supply? I got that it was a heavy-duty performance computer, for the games, but even so, I would expect the power supply to cost only a small fraction of the total price for the computer. I remember back when I had to replace a power supply, it cost $35, and that was for an $1800 computer. Far more powerful computers now routinely cost 1/3 of that, say $600. Assuming a high-end gaming computer costs more, I'd still expect the total PC to be not much more than $1000... power supply prices may not have gone down, but I wouldn't expect them to have tripled.

Yeah, I know what you mean about keeping out dirt and dust. On the one hand, you want to cover it up to protect it from the dirt and dust, but on the other hand, it needs free air flow to stay cool and function well. Not an easy balance!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
We spent a little over 2 grand on each computer. Video gaming is our hobby during the winter when we don't get outside very much.
The guy at the computer store yesterday wanted to sell us one that was only 500 watts, that won't power the video card..LOL