View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 02:21 AM
ShellyQ

Hi hope nobody minds me offering a suggestion, Just hope I can give an adequate description lol, anyway here goes.

Another way of joining quilted blocks is to use narrow sashings on both front and back.

If you want half inch finished sashes, cut one inch stips for the front and slightly wider strips for the back. Sew front and back sashing onto the edgeof a block that you want to join (using a 1/4" seam). Next sew the front sashing only to the front of the block you are attatching to, keeping underneath sash out of the way. Loosely ladder stitch edges of batting together. Fold under raw edge of back sash and applique to back of block.

You can make 1" sashings by cutting fabric to 2" (slightly wider for the back) and using 1/2" seams. Anything wider dosen't really work very well.

I like this method it has the effect of creating a sashed pieced back and I can use smaller differing pieces of fabric for my backing.

By the way I'm really enjoying this site, people have so many wonderful ides and are very helpful to one another. Thanks to everyone for a wonderful meeting place. :)