View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 AM
adnerb25

I don't post often to the group, but I do read all the messages.
I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. I am currently working on the Block of the Month Civil War Tribute Quilt by Judie Rothermel. I just picked up Block 7 from my LQS
and after looking at the cutting directions, I am stumped. The pattern calls for cutting squares (for example: 2 3/16" x 2 3/16"). How can you cut sixteenths? I know I could round up to 4/16 which is a 1/4, but then the block is going to come out bigger than it should be. I am afraid to eyeball and cut between an 1/8 and a 1/4 inch. I don't think that would be really accurate. All of these squares will be cut diagonally and then sewn with other squares that have been cut diagonally to make HST's. Since I have to do 32 of these, I'm afraid that by the time they are all sewn together the block is going to be off mathematically. My other question is: Once the two triangles are sewn together, how do I know what the actual measurement of the HST should be? This is the only month where the block is being cut using fractions of a sixteeth. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brenda R. (New Jersey)