Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jackkip
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by loves2quilt
Does anyone know anything about this machine? It says Modern Electric and it appears to be in good shape, except the case it torn to heck on the back corner. I didnt buy it but Im considering going back for it tomorrow. I did a google search but couldnt find anything. Pic isnt the greatest, I took it with my phone.
Japanese made class 15 machine. Takes singer type 15 bobbins and bobbin cases, 15 X1 (standard) needles, and the slide plate can usually be replaced with Singer 15 plate. I like sewing on class 15 machines, and often replace the hand wheel with a spoked one and attach a hand crank.
OK, here's a stupid question. Do hand cranks work the same way as a treadle in that once you get it going both your hands are free to guide the fabric OR do you have to constantly crank it to keep it going. Doesn't this make it difficult to sew "One Handed"?
Doug,
Thank you for asking this question. I was always too scared to ask and really wanted to know :D . Hopefully someone will answer it for us.
Yes, you have to keep turning the handle all the time, but it is possible to get used to working one handed.