Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 PM
JoAnnGC

I hope someone can help me figure this out. I am in the process of bringing a New Home Light Running Type F machine back to life. It was given to me so all I have invested in it so far is time and a little oil. I got it all cleaned up and DH rewired the motor for me to make it safe. It was running at top speed as smooth as can be and then all of a sudden the spring that prevents the motor from flopping around sprung loose. It is a Westinghouse motor Style 1172254 A that attaches to the sewing machine body with two screws through a bracket. There is a rod that attaches the motor to the bracket and it has a nut at one end to adjust the spring tension so that the motor makes contact with the wheel. The spring is not corroded as far as I can see. On the nut end the spring which winds around the rod is attached to the rod with a small screw but the other end of the spring which also has a curl on the end is not attached to anything and I don't know if it is supposed to hook onto something or not. When you tighten the nut on the end of the rod it does tighten the spring which theoretically brings the motor closer to the wheel but the spring snaps right back and won't hold its tension. Does anyone out there know how I can get this spring in the right position again or does anyone know if the spring is supposed to hook onto the bracket or rod some other way that is not apparent to me? I know it's probably staring me in the face but I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!