View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
GrammaO

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Great quilt - You put the binding down first with more than 1/4" seam allowance? I'll have to make up a sample piece to 'see' it. :)

Did I read right that you finished it 1/2 hour before the shower started?

That's a little tooooo close!
You're right, I did kind of wait until the 11th hour to finish the blanket. It was total procrastination on my part, so I can't even blame it on someone else. And yes to the first question. I put the binding on with an allowance larger that 1/4" but smaller that 1/2". Two reasons; first to cover my basting around the outside of the quilt, and second to give myself a better chance to hit the ditch on the other side. Don't know if this makes sense, but if you use 1/4" seam and wrap to the other side, the amount of fabric pulled around to the front is larger than the amount remaining on the back. when you top stitch, your bobbin stitches will be 1/4" or so away from the ditch into the field of your backing. By using a wider seam, the binding on the back is a bit wider, so when you top stitch the bobbin stitches are closer to the ditch and more invisible. Does that help?