View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Katrine

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I have now come to the conclusion that quilting can be as time consuming and patience sucking as actually making the quilt and that there are a lot of us who donīt like this part, right ?
Elle, I look at your Asian fan quilt and am sure I havent got the patience or ability to do that beautiful pp. I keep saying I must try some...

For me quilting is the best part - I had admired free motion work since I started with patchwork 6 yrs ago, and tried on my first machine but could not master it. I had convinced myself I would never do it. Then I got the Janome with fm quilting specifically in mind - and started 18 months ago after a fair bit of practising, with small things, easy fmq and really began to enjoy it. My aim has always been just to free motion without marking so I work around the blocks and shapes on the quilt. What I am doing is easy work if you just look at one block - it just looks more spectacular when spread over a big area.
Dont be intimidated by a big quilt to start with - I did table runners and small hangings first to get some confidence.
I find I'm nervous at the start of a quilt but soon get "into it".

Everyone enjoys a different part of the process - I hate cutting, love the piecing (when it goes well!), and I know lots of people hate doing the binding - which I enjoy because its the last part and the quilt always looks good with its binding on - I even enjoy doing it by hand.

Perhaps I ought to pop down to you for some pp lessons :lol: