Thread: Worth Fixing?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 AM
moonrise

I inherited an older Singer machine from my great-grandmother. It was handed down to my grandmother, and then to me when my grandmother passed away a few months ago. My mom doesn't sew a lick, so she wasn't interested in it.

According to the serial number (AH783721), it was made in September 1948, and is a model/class number 15. Looks like it was made in New Jersey, and that there were 35,000 made. :)

Offhand, I know for sure that it needs a power cord and a throat plate. Looks like it needs a bobbin case too. It's in a cabinet, which is in very good structural condition, but has lots of cosmetic scratches (should be easy to refinish). The machine and cabinet were stored in my Granny's basement for years. My great-grandmother passed away in the late 70's, and I bet this machine hasn't been used at all since she was still able to sew. It's dusty and dirty, and likely has been exposed to mice, spiders, and other basement critters. >>shudder<<

Here are a few photos. Sorry they're grainy; I snapped them with my cell phone, but can get better ones if needed. :)

Oh, and my DH is very mechanically-inclined and can fix just about anything, and he's also an industrial painter, so if (BIG IF) I decide I want the machine repainted, he can do that as well.

So ... do you think it's worth fixing? It would be awesome to do it for the sentimental value (I remember sewing on it as a young child), but realistically, I wouldn't want to throw good money after bad, if it's not really worth it, if that makes sense. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94800.jpe   attachment-94801.jpe   attachment-94802.jpe   attachment-94803.jpe   attachment-94804.jpe