View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 AM
49elephants

I have a similar story... I made a lone star quilt for my son and new DIL. It took me a long time to do the piecing as it was my first one. Then, it took me 5 weeks to hand quilt it. I gave it to them for Christmas and sat with both of them and told them the proper care for a handmade quilt. I said things like, "This is not a camping quilt or a picnic blanket or a quilt your children would play with. It shouldn't be washed a lot." The next time I was at their house, the kids had it on the floor and they were making forts with it. So I made the kids each a tied flannel blanket. The next time I was at their home after that, the quilt was again being used for fort building and the flannel blankets were in the top of their closets. I have also been on several camping trips with them and they have brought the quilt every time. Last year I got wise and gave them all sleeping bags for Christmas and this summer was the first time I didn't see the quilt camping with them. I must admit it's like a knife sticking in my heart every time I see that quilt being so misused. I too, love them both dearly, but I decided to protect my feelings, and they will get nothing that is handmade from me again.