View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
My 2 granddaughters will be with me for a couple days, their ages are 8 and 6. I do not have any purse patterns. Do any of you have instructions that I might use to make them..
I helped my 9 year-old DGD make a simple bag. I started with a 12 inch square. We used jelly roll strips on the diagonal, sewed 9 or 10 strips together, folded the finished strip in half with right sides together, layed the 12-inch paper square on the fabric so the strips were diagonal 45 degrees and cut them out, sewed sides & bottom, boxed the corners. Then made lining from 2 12 inch squares, sewed sides and bottom leaving center 4 inches of bottom open. We used purchased handles, but you can use strips of fabric. You can put pockets in the lining if you want. Sew the lining to the outside and turn through the opening, and sew it shut. Here is a picture of 2 we made. We also put a ruffle on the top from one of the jelly roll strips. We attached that to the outside top and stitched the handles to the lining before assembling. I did the ruffle and attached the handles, the rest the 9 year old did herself.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95169.jpe   attachment-95170.jpe