Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM
cindyg

I agree. I don't think I've ever made a quilt exactly as the pattern is written whether in a magazine or a book. I always change the colors and usually the border. I don't think I would be breaking any laws if I decide to hang my quilt at a quilt show. If they don't want you using their patterns, why publish them? I do understand that it's a no-no to copy patterns and give them out to a class or friends. The designer deserves to make their money off it. If I were a designer, I would feel honored if quilters wanted to use my pattern and it would sure be interesting to see what color ways come out of it.

Originally Posted by mrspete
lol, well my best friend calls this the 'nanny state syndrome'. We have to be guarded and protected all over the place. hahaha oh I understand what you are saying. As long as folks can look at the stitching and placement, color changes it becomes a personal creation.......no copyright on that, is there. Just name it something different, but if asked, say you got the idea (not the pattern) from a magazine. No reference keeps you open territory, I would think. It would be different if you used a 'kit' and entered that quilt under your own tag. I agree, it is 'interesting'.

Blessings, Ruth