View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM
cattailsquilts

Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
I live in Florida and most of my family is RI and MA. It's sad that there are a lot of people who don't appreciate the love, the thought, the time and the money it costs to make such a unique
gift. I always think of my lap quilts as long-distance hugs. Several years ago my SIL's mother was quite ill. I made her a lap quilt.
The 24 squares had all different machine embroidered 4 inch butterflies and the quilt was latticed, bordered & backed with a gorgeous butterfly fabric. Georgie, the Mom absolutely loved. My
SIL called me after Georgie died to say she put the quilt in the coffin with her Mom. I have to say that totally freaked me out. Perhaps I should have seen it as a supreme compliment, but I thought it was weird. Why not keep it as a nice memory? Am I nuts?
No, you're not nuts. The first quilt I ever made was a Christmas gift for my grandma. She loved the heck out of it, and it was always on her couch or recliner. When her heath declined, it and the pillow I cross-stitched for her always went with her to the hospital or respite home. When she passed last October, my 16 y/o cousin wanted them buried with her, because she treasured them so much. I thought long & hard about it, but couldn't part with them, so now they are back with me, and my cousin can come visit them.