View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 PM
HeatherQuilts

Originally Posted by garysgal
I posted before but I wanted to add that I think it is a good idea to realize that when we make something for someone, we need to let it go and let them treat/mistreat it however they chose, and we can't tell them how to use it or take care of it, or anything, because it belongs to them now and it isn't ours anymore. For me, I felt so bad at the reactions I got when I gave my baby quilts away, but now I know that everyone can't react as I think they should, they are who they are, and that is their problem not mine. I just know that if I chose to give something away that I made ( and I still do) I can't be expecting them to react how I want them to. That's how I feel anyway.
I totally agree. I made the fleece blankets, and was happy to give them as gifts, even if the recipient didn't have the reaction I wanted them to have. I am, however, glad that I did not pour my time, heart, blood sweat and tears into something that would not be appreciated. If those fleece blankets get used, great! If not, that's fine too! If they become dog or cat beds, at least they are keeping someone warm! I am glad that I made all the blankets and gave them as gifts. I took enjoyment from making them. But it also taught me a valuable lesson about how some people "get" quilts and some just don't. I figure I just saved myself some heartache. Not to mention money and time. It won't stop me from quilting, but I know who I want to make big quilts for, and who I would make smaller projects for. :D
That, and I would love to be able to just "let it go" but I know that it would really bother me.... so that's my reality! :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much everyone for all of your responses!