Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
rwquilts

Originally Posted by Andii
Originally Posted by Suzanne57
Here's my 3 & 4. That handle was not fun. No wonder I've been putting off finishing it. I ended up using a pencil and tracing over the machine applique template onto my block then hand stitching it down. Is that how you're supposed to do it? I've never done applique before and now I know why. Thank goodness there's only one more handle on this quilt!
Exactly! I got on here to get some tips on the basket handle. I cut out the strip that the template had listed for handpiecing and have been trying to pin it on but it seems like there is just too much extra fabric. I haven't done applique either-maybe this wasn't a good one to try for the first time. Your handle looks lovely though and like you didn't have any trouble at all so I will carry on :thumbup: I am going to cut the machine applique template out and try it that way. Thanks for letting me see it can be done. I went back to look at everyone's pictures and they all look so good...I thought maybe I was the only one having troubles.
Just make sure to cut your straight handle piece on the bias, which will give it all the curve it needs!