Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Pamela Artman

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
You have all given me some great assistance with this topic. I appreciate all your advice. The person is requesting a wedding ring (maybe even double, I can't remember). In order for me to do this, I have to take a class, which I don't mind.

The lady is perfectly willing to pay for the materials. I am thinking of perhaps charging her for the class I have to take to learn the pattern as well as $10.00 an hour or maybe I will charge her what I make per hour at work? I am going to have to have it professionally quilted and she will have to pay for that.

I believe she is looking for just a twin size quilt. Does this sound about fair since I am still a new quilter (I am coming up on my one year anniversary)?
I just finished a queen sized double wedding ring quilt. I'm an experienced quilter and have been quilting for over 30 years but this was the first double wedding ring. I was commissioned to make this by a woman who saw one of my quilts and asked me if I would make one for her daughter's wedding gift. I charged her $500 and I supplied the fabric and I am paying for the longarm quilter. It is a difficult quilt to make, cutting and sewing has to be very precise and the curves need to be pinned which takes a lot of time. It took me several months to finish and by the end of it, I knew I had not charged her enough and I will never make another one. I couldn't wait to finish it and get back to my own projects. After I pay the quilter and subtract what I spent on fabric I'll probably make around $300 profit. Not nearly enough. Knowing what I know now about the costs and the time involved, I'd not make it for less than $900-1000. Before giving this woman a commitment, I'd wait until I took the class and tried making a sample with 4 or 5 circles to see if you think it will be worth your time. If you do, and if you'd like the templates for it, I'm selling mine!! LOL