View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 AM
stefanib123

Originally Posted by calicocat
I think it is not your cutting, either I think it may be your seams. Check to see if your 1/4 inch seam is really a 1/4 inch. I was quilting for nearly 4 years before I actually checked mine and guess what it was not a 1/4 inch. Boy has that made a huge difference in my block size.
The pieces aren't the same size before I even sew the first piece. I am working on sewing a good 1/4 inch seam, and I'm getting a lot better at that. I bought the foot for my machine that is 1/4 on one side and 1/8 on the other. I've checked it a few times, to make sure, after reading on here that some of the 'so called" 1/4 inch feet really aren't! It is,yay!

I do appreciate all the tips about the 1/4 inch seams, though!As I said , I'm getting "better" not "exact", LOL!!! So, really, I need all the help I can get ! On all sides!

Ok....now for the good news! I sat the computer close to me, and read over everyone's tips again. Then I lined up my fabric and started to cut. A few things I noticed:

1. I put my fabric either on one side or the other of "line", not in the center, and not always the same.

Solution: Putting my fabric right in the center of the lines. One big problem down, ten thousand to go!

2. I would put my hand in the middle of my ruler and leave it there holding real tight for the whole cut!

Solution: "Walking" my hand up

3. As per problem 2, holding the ruler in the middle WAS making me move it slightly as I got to the end of my cut.

Solution: See 2

4. I was tilting my cutter "in" toward the ruler, trying to get as close as I could.

Solution: Holding it straight up and down

5. CHECK, and DOUBLE Check that everything is lined up!

After all this, my cuts are MUCH better! Much, much, better! I think another problem was I was "rushing" through it. I see all these videos of people going "swipe, swipe, swipe,swipe, done! 400 perfect triangles!" And think I can do that too, and.......I can not. I must take my time!

I even started a few of Rhonda's keychains last night and they are coming out great!

I want to thank everyone so much! I think I'm going to print this thread off and put it in my how to binder that I keep.