Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 AM
montanablu

Originally Posted by raptureready
I seen it done but never done it. I know that you need a good stabilizer, cut the fronts or backs (wherever the logos are) out a lot bigger than what you want. Iron on fusible stabilizer, then trim them down to the size you want. Since tshirts are heavier than regular cotton and you have the added wieght of the stabilizer, 20 is the max that you should go in one quilt. More than that will make it too heavy. After you get the stabilizer ironed on, the blocks cut to size then it's just a matter of how you want to put it together. The prettiest ones I've seen have used cornerstones and sashing. Then just sandwich and quilt. Your location says in hiding but if you're anywhere near Danville, Il., go to Threads of Time on a Monday or Tuesday, they have a T-shirt quilt expert that works there on those days. Call first, she's leaving on vacation soon.
http://www.threadsoftimefab.com
I have made over dozen - & I don't envy you the 8! They're OK to do, just not my fav. Hopefully you are machine quilting them, handquilting thro Tshirts + stabilizer is definitely hard on the fingers!!
RaptureReady's advice is straight on. Pick the lightest weight stabilizer you can - you only need something to keep the Tshirt fabric from stretching while you work on it. Making your first cut from the shirt larger than intended for the block is also good advice. Try not to press from the front while sewing seams tog too often, some shirts the logos are not conducive to a hot iron :)
Weight is a huge factor here - I know people put flannel on the back for comfy-ness but try to turn over in bed underneath one of those & you'll get the work out of your dreams!! I prefer to use cotton to help keep the weight down.
Be sure you consider your math on this one- they tend to get very large very quickly!! Also, I don't prewash (unless you're not sure they're clean to begin with). I figure a loved shirt has probably been washed so many times aready there's no way it will bleed or shrink anymore:)
Good luck!! And when you get discouraged, or just plain tired of Tshirts, do yourself a favor & switch over to a fav project for awhile!
*And please tell me you aren't doing 8 of these for free!