View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 AM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by stefanib123
Originally Posted by calicocat
I think it is not your cutting, either I think it may be your seams. Check to see if your 1/4 inch seam is really a 1/4 inch. I was quilting for nearly 4 years before I actually checked mine and guess what it was not a 1/4 inch. Boy has that made a huge difference in my block size.
The pieces aren't the same size before I even sew the first piece. I am working on sewing a good 1/4 inch seam, and I'm getting a lot better at that. I bought the foot for my machine that is 1/4 on one side and 1/8 on the other. I've checked it a few times, to make sure, after reading on here that some of the 'so called" 1/4 inch feet really aren't! It is,yay!

I do appreciate all the tips about the 1/4 inch seams, though!As I said , I'm getting "better" not "exact", LOL!!! So, really, I need all the help I can get ! On all sides!

Ok....now for the good news! I sat the computer close to me, and read over everyone's tips again. Then I lined up my fabric and started to cut. A few things I noticed:

1. I put my fabric either on one side or the other of "line", not in the center, and not always the same.

Solution: Putting my fabric right in the center of the lines. One big problem down, ten thousand to go!

2. I would put my hand in the middle of my ruler and leave it there holding real tight for the whole cut!

Solution: "Walking" my hand up

3. As per problem 2, holding the ruler in the middle WAS making me move it slightly as I got to the end of my cut.

Solution: See 2

4. I was tilting my cutter "in" toward the ruler, trying to get as close as I could.

Solution: Holding it straight up and down

5. CHECK, and DOUBLE Check that everything is lined up!

After all this, my cuts are MUCH better! Much, much, better! I think another problem was I was "rushing" through it. I see all these videos of people going "swipe, swipe, swipe,swipe, done! 400 perfect triangles!" And think I can do that too, and.......I can not. I must take my time!

I even started a few of Rhonda's keychains last night and they are coming out great!

I want to thank everyone so much! I think I'm going to print this thread off and put it in my how to binder that I keep.
Yay! Isn't it amazing how we can use our "big girl words" and "indoor voices" and it suddenly makes sense as you try to put it into practice?! ;)

Seriously, I'm glad the suggestions that have been made here for you have been of help. Good to know.

As for doing a tute, thanks for asking. I will look in to this. But I will not have time for it until at least next week some time. Am in the middle of "wedding wars" :!: -- have a wedding cake and 2 birthday cakes to complete tonight, deliver tomorrow, and then try to get the house back in order on Sunday. After that I may have more time... Certainly some of us are "visual" learners and it may help someone else who is struggling with these same issues.

stefanib123, congrats on figuring it out. Keep practicing, you will get better and faster. Eventually you will be doing precisely what those TV quilters are doing, zip, zip, zip, all done! 442 perfect squares! It just takes time, practice, patience, and the willingness to re-check yourself before you make a cut.

Odessa