Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM
aardvarq

Yes, recently at my parents funerals. They passed a month apart.

The LQS is just around the corner from home, they are used to seeing me once a day;-)

During my mother's emergency stay in the hospital, I had taken a quilt project to work on (for her) while sitting with her through the night. On the long drive south, I stopped for gas and saw Boyd's Bears made with cloth that matched my project. I bought one to go with the quilt when it was finished. However, she passed before I could complete the long drive to the hospital.

When I returned home the next day to collect things for the funeral, I stopped to tell friends at the LQS why I would be out of town for a while. They already knew about the quilt that would never be finished, as several people there had contributed ideas to the colors and pattern selections.

I had spent the night before the funeral service designing, cutting, piecing and quilting a minature of the quilt I was to have made for my mother. I had wanted to surprise her with the colors and fabrics, which included her favorite yellow roses.

On the day of the service, my sister and I walked each other into the sanctuary ahead of the service schedule to check on things. Well, she had to catch me on my way to the floor . . .

There were four quilt-angels gathered and displayed around the coffin. My last thought as I hit the ground was how did they manage to do that in such a short time?

It turned out, a local florist had been providing quilt angels for some time.

The funeral director was very kind and helped us arrange the bear wrapped in the quilt miniature and place it in the casket.

Aardie.