Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Originally Posted by Lacelady
So could I or couldn't I put my Jane Stickle reproduction quilt in a show without the wrath of whoever coming down on me? And if I could, what information should I put with it?
That's a good question! Many of those blocks are very old patterns and are in the public domain.

If these blocks were rearranged in a different order/placement and in different colors would that be considered infringement? Would permission be required because they were gathered and put in a book? Can someone claim ownership to a block in the public domain because they put it in a book?

For example, there are lots of Log Cabin designs that have been used by many Designers who have then published a book. Do they each claim right to that pattern? If I make a Log Cabin quilt and display it or sell it, do I have to contact the multitude of people who have published the Log Cabin block for permission even though it is in the public domain? I probably would not.

With the DJ, I guess if you call it a Baby Jane or DJ with reference to the book, you probably do have to get permission. If you call it something else and have changed the layout, colors, used EQ to plan your quilt and some of the blocks/design who knows?
I have labelled my quilt as being a reproduction of a quilt orignally made by Jane Stickle in 1863. I have no intention of mentioning 'DJ' or 'BJ' because I understand a certain person regards those terms as her copyright.