Thread: Hand Quilting
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM
rhueluna

Originally Posted by Lori L
What beautiful work you do! Can you tell me about your hand quilting.....do you have a large floor frame you put the quilt into or do you quilt with it on your lap? I have only just begun quilting but have already taught myself how to hand quilt and just finished a table runner. Wasn't perfect but I think I did a pretty good job keeping my stitches even and in the neighborhood of 8-10 per inch. I find hand quilting to be very relaxing and loved having the project to work on while watching tv or something to take with me when I was away from home. I hope someday I can put together some work that is as beautiful as yours :)
I have no frame. I tried that but it got in my way. I just baste well, or pin well and hold it on my lap. I use a long needle and put several small stitches at a time and pull it through. You can bunch up the piece in your hand to get good stitch length this way. As long as the pins or basting is close enough together. I can go really fast because of this technique. I don't know if anyone else does this but it works well for me. I have some small needle nose pliers that help pull the needle through the tough areas. Cotton batting is harder to sew through but I use it anyway because I want all cotton. Try a small piece and see how it goes for you. You may fall in love with it too. Good luck.