View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

These "blocks" save time and effort when made with my cut down method. The cut down method is when you sew fabrics together and then cut out the square instead of cutting each piece with a template before you sew.

By using these "Blocks" you can get some stunning quilt blocks with easy steps. The intricate looking quilt blocks will look so fantastic people will think you spent a lot more time and trouble than you really did.

Here is a project I contributed to Konstantin's Quilted Paradise newsletter last year.
http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/038-oqk.jsp - mouse pad--star points

These blocks are so easy and I do recommend them for beginners. They are deceptively simple!

Lay your joined swatches on a mini cutting mat. Lay the template on the swatches. You need to have a 1/4" seam allowance above the point where the three swatches meet at the top. At the bottom corner of the template make sure you look at the grid on the template and center that template corner. Hold the template firmlly and cut along one side with a rotary cutter. Keep your hold on the template as you use the other hand to gently turn the mat as you continue to cut along each side til you have a square cut out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96923[/ATTACH]

Star Point Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97156[/ATTACH]

Cut two green swatches and one burgandy swatch. The size of the swatch will depend on the size of template you are using. Any leftovers can be recycled. so cut your swatches just a bit more than you need or like I prefer a lot more than you need. The larger the swatch the easier it is to recycle into another "Block"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97157[/ATTACH]

Sew one green and one burgandy together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97159[/ATTACH]

You will need a 30 degree angle template or ruler. I send these out for free so if you need one just send me a pm or email me. My email is in my signature
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97164[/ATTACH]

And here is the Star Point Block ready to sew to other blocks into a quilt block!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97166[/ATTACH]

Here you can see where the "Block" was cut out. the leftovers can be pulled apart and recycled into more "Blocks"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97167[/ATTACH]

Llay the 30 degree angle line on the seam as shown. Make sure you have the right side of the template laying on the burgandy so you get a 30 degree cut. then cut along the edge of the template on the right side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97238[/ATTACH]

Here is what you should have now. Notice the seam allowance at the top from where the burgandy stops below the green edge.Make sure you position your template or ruler to allow for this when you cut the angle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97239[/ATTACH]

Lay your joined swatches face down onto the other green swatch and sew the seam to join that swatch to the two.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97240[/ATTACH]

Here you have all three swatches joined. Now it is time to cut out the Star Point Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97241[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-96918.jpe   attachment-97151.jpe   attachment-97152.jpe   attachment-97154.jpe   attachment-97159.jpe  

attachment-97161.jpe   attachment-97162.jpe   attachment-97233.jpe   attachment-97234.jpe   attachment-97235.jpe  

attachment-97236.jpe