Thread: Have you ever
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deanna.r
The dog food that I use comes in a bag that is printed on the outside and looks like very heavy aluminum foil on the inside. When the bags are empty, I cut them open so that I have one large flat piece, wipe them with soapy water and rinse them. There is no dog food smell.

Then, when I am going to mail something, I cut and fold them to whatever size I need. I fold one edge over the other (no staples needed) and seal with packing tape. A permanent felt pen will write on the surface and will not smear. They are virtually bomb-proof and much lighter (and therefore cheaper) than using a sturdy cardboard box.
It's just in my nature to re-use things...had to as a kid and has become a lifelong thing. I see it as a positive, so I have had those pangs of guilt when tossing the kitty food bag.
They are so strong!
This is a good idea. Question though: what kind of food do you buy. The inside of my bags are tan colored, but I suppose they could be washed, since it's got a waxy surface.
I would not be offended to receive a package in a dog/cat food bag as long as it had the 'smells' washed off first.
Some of those packages get roughed around on their way
to their destination. Just ask my gypsy cousins ;) :lol: