Thread: Featherweght?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
Okay I've asked before but I'm still confused. How do you know what is a featherweight. Is there a website with pictures of featherweight models or how do you know? I know it refers to the weight but how do you know by her picture of either machine they are featherweights or am I just not getting it???? Very new here.
If you Google featherweight sewing machine and then click on "images", you will get tons of photos of the featherweight machines.

The distinctive feature on the most common model (the 221) is that the bed on the left side of the machine is hinged and can be flipped up for storage (as in the photo of the machine). The model 222 featherweight (worth *tons* of money because they are so much more rare) has a removeable bed that turns the machine into a free-arm.

Featherweight machines are almost never sold in a cabinet like the machine in the second photo. They are almost always sold just by themselves (they are a standalone machine) or in their distinctive boxy carrying case (aS in the first picture). Featherweight tables were manufactured but are hard to find.