View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
lab fairy

I've been dealing with the aftermath of a keylogger virus that I'm pretty sure was introduced to my computer by e-mail but I'm not positive yet. I don't know where the first hack came from so please check all your e-mail, bank, credit card, cell phone, etc accounts for unauthorized use. I would hate to see you all have to deal with this mess.

If you think you have a virus on your computer here is a freeware program that is pretty thorough from
http://www.safer-networking.org. It is called Spybot Search & Destroy. I just used the 1.6.2,46 version. It did a really good job of cleaning up. And did I mention FREE?

To make a long story short: someone was able to access my cell phone account, change my security settings, address, access all sorts of information including my home e-mail. Then, they changed all that information for my cell phone, bought $1200 worth of new phones with 4 new contracts, shipped them somewhere, etc. Anyway, I found out by accident (I don't check the phone account everyday) because I needed some information for one of my children.

Unfortunately for the hacker, I printed all the documentation (I'm a little anally old-fashioned). When the cell company sent me an e-mail to document the fraud alert on the account, it sent an execute code to delete my whole inbox. Good thing I back up my drive.