View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM
kristen0112

Originally Posted by WilliP
I'm thinking about investing in the Flynn quilting system --the one with pvc/conduit that you use with your home sewing machine. Anyone have comments on this? I honestly can't afford a long arm quilting machine, hand quilting is not my forte for everything and I have too large of quilts in process to standard FM with my regular sewing machine --- also can't afford to have all these projects professionally finished by long arm quilters in my area.
Funny we just had this conversation on another thread just a few days ago. I have one. The depth of my sewing machines throat is pretty small so as you roll up the quilt your area of quilting shrinks. I have not tried it on my older sewing machine which has a taller and wider throat. If you don't have a walking foot or a stitch regulator on your sewing machine you'll need to practice - your stitches can be uneven. You'll need to have a long table to use (I put mine on my kitchen table with the extensions pulled out.
It is a lot of fun to use and easy. But with anything you'll need to practice at it. I believe some of the people who commented on the previous post said that they had done larger quilts but I don't think I would have tried anything larger than a lap quilt. I am currently in the process of getting a Bailey 17 inch home quilter on a Grace GMQ frame. I am so excited.