View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 AM
raptureready

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Cat hair is not an allergen.

People are allergic to the protein found in dander, and the saliva of cats and dogs.

After your gift quilts are made wash them, dry them, package them up in plastic or remove them from the house. No need for a warning label. This is not a nut or shellfish. lol I have lived with severe allergies all my life (bad enough to take shots), I also live in a house with two cats and two dogs. They are bathed once a week in baby shampoo and Downy. I am allergic to birds but sleep on a feather pillow too. I know I must have a death wish huh!
You're very lucky that your allergies have adjusted to your lifestyle. If I laid down on a feather pillow for 15 minutes I couldn't breathe. And when I accidentally purchased some quilting blocks with cat hair on them I got really sick. Not thinking about it being cat hair, I thought it was just some weird fiber. I kepted picking it off and throwing it away as my eyes got itchy, red and watery, my nose started running and my throat got scratchy. By the time I realized what it was and got rid of the really bad blocks, it was too late. My eyelids had swelled up, my nose had plugged up, I could barely talk and even my lips had swelled. Hair or dander, I don't know, I just know I don't want to be around it. :D