View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Pat G

Originally Posted by Bev
Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by Bev
Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by GrammaNan
LOVE Gutterman's thread. It is so much better than C&C. You should give it a try.
When I took my maching to the shop recently, I was told I shouldn't use Coats & Clark because it makes too much lint. She said this as she pulled gobs & gobs of lint out of my machine. Got to change my thinking about thread.
You can clean the lint out yourself.
It's true that C&C makes a lot of lint usually, but just lately it seems that they've changed something and there's less lint than there ever was before. In only the newest spools that is.
I don't often use it, but I had an awful lot of it on hand from before I started using Guttermann's, so on occasion I try to use it up. I use my oldest machine and clean out the lint with each use. It's really easy to do depending on the machine of course.
Not using it, or tossing it out, is such a waste of money. (The C&C)
8-)
But I have found thread to get old and brittle, especially cotton. I had a neighbor that was complaining about her thread breaking all the time. I suggested she change the needle, which didn't help. Then I discovered her thread was on the old wooden spools with a 39cent price tag on it. She bought new thread and problem solved. I use the old spools ffor decorative purposes only.
Oh I know. But I'm not talking about old thread here. My C&C was bought only in the last few years. I was introduced to Guttermann's a couple of years ago. Some of my C&C is the blended thread. I'd hate to just get rid of that. So, as I said, I use it in my old (35 years) Kenmore which was used to handling any kind of thread you stuffed into it, without a complaint. ;) Then, after the project is finished, I clean all the lint out of it, oil it, and it's ready for the next one.

8-)
I will certainly ck on the lint in my machine from now on. I didn't realize it just collects in the bobbin area. I was picturing it way down in the body of my machine. Duuh, I feel so dumb sometimes.
As for thread, trust me, I sure won't toss out any of my huge supply of C&C. I'll upgrade only when I need new colors. I do agree that we shouldn't use the old thread on wood spools. I found that it breaks just by pulling it gently with my hands. I toss it.
As for oiling my mach. The service person told me you don't oil my Viking.

While I've sewed for a long time, you guys have taught me so much. Thank you all.

ps. I also learned that heat can affect thread. I spend the winter in Ariz. so when I get ready to come home, I take my thread from my little shop into the house where I leave the AC on all the time.