View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM
fliedermaus

Originally Posted by cindit
Originally Posted by belgrave
I am 62 years old and read Noddy and his friends when I was a very young child. Wonderful reading for children even though for a time it was deemed inappropriate and banned in some countries. Some rather strange politically correct people thought Noddy and Big Ears relationship was unhealthy. As an innocent child, I never saw that side and was never corrupted by them but loved them.
Another "issue" was Golliwog. People thought it was an inappropriate stereotype of blacks. Funny how I never thought anything of it as a child. They treated him well in the books. I think it was just the way he looked.

I think that all stemmed from a story that Enid Blyton wrote about the little black doll that wanted to be pink! I never saw Gollys as being rascist, they're just black- the same way that Goblins are green and stuff.

Being in my 20s I grew up with some of the altered stuff, I reread Mr Galliano's Circus the other day (being a librarian gives me plenty of chance to reread things) and I was shocked by some of it, the dog called "Nigger" and the monkey that was bought from a "savage" in Africa. But that's how people wrote and spoke back then, so we can't really judge by todays standards.

Having said that I looked through one of the newer editions of the famous five the other day and it mentions Adidas!!! A brand name, and not only that but one that I don't think was around in the 50s/60s?

Also some of the covers these days are interesting. Anyone remember the five find outers? Apparently "Fatty" isn't so fat anymore...

(sorry for rambling on. One of my fave. topics
:mrgreen: )