Thread: Dance Quilt
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM
JoAnnGC

Wow! I don't even want to think about how much money I spent on dance lessons, costumes, shoes, ballet camp, etc. My daughter started dancing when she was 4 and continued all the way through college. She studied ballet, tap, jazz and modern and performed with a regional ballet company for most of those years, going to lessons every day of the week. For regular recitals in the spring we usually had at least 4 or 5 new costumes each year that we had to purchase as well as many pairs of shoes throughout the year (especially pointe shoes which were extremely expensive and wore out very quickly). I somehow ended up as President of the Board of Directors that managed the ballet company and served and volunteered on the board and for the dance company for many years. I also designed and sewed many costumes for the principal dancers (male and female) as well as the corps de ballet. I still have some of the patterns and books that I used back then. My DD went on to study Musical Theatre and Dance as a Performing Arts major in college. She worked for a theatre company in NYC before we moved down to Georgia. When we got down here she decided to go back to school to become a Massage Therapist because there weren't as many opportunities as there were in NYC for actors and dancers. She is 30 now and just found out that she's expecting a baby in March. Hilary said that if it's a girl she expects me to be a "Ballet Grandma" because I already know how to do it :) The idea of a quilt made from the costumes is a great idea as a wall quilt. I don't think the toulle and sequins would be very cuddly for a bed quilt though!!! Please show us all when you complete it. I can't wait to see it!!!