View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Leota

Originally Posted by ccthomas
Bunting. I guess that must be a wrong term.

The real term is "nesting" or locking together so that pins are not even necessary. I would really be a quilter if I could this.

On the latest Fons and Porter Series with her daughter, the daughter is constantly emphasizing this tip.

Somewhere I missed this special technique and now try to make it a habit to press my seams in opposite directions so they "nest, Lock, or Bunt" together. It is still a shock when I get it all going in opposite direction.

I still have trouble figuring out which direction to press besides the light versus dark.

Sorry for the bunting confusion. My husband would be so surprised if I was actually speaking football.
I was taught the term "nesting" when I took a class 18 years ago so you really threw me off with the "bunting" ha ha.
Now, for the "pressing" issue.... I was taught in clothing construction to press seams open; therefore, when I started quilting in 19bc (before class) I burned several fingers trying to hold that itty bitty seam open to press... then I learned to press to the dark side 90% of the time. As your block/quilt grows, you may have to press to the light side so that the seams will nest properly. bottom line... do what ever to get your points to match.
Are you a quilter? YES! Are you a "Master Quilter" that depends on your skill level and confidence... it doens't matter here.... we are all quilters of varying skill level.