Old 08-17-2010, 02:02 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Can anyone tell me about the belt that seems to be in white FW's.....

"There was some cutting-edge technology in the use of a belt instead
> of gears to connect the upper and lower shafts....."

I have a white one, now I am worried - do these belts wear out, or ever need replacing?
Lesley,
From all of the information that I can find the internal belt on the white FWs is every bit as good as the internal gears on the black machines....the sewing machine repair people did not like the internal belt because their method of cleaning the machine was to dip it into a vat of solvent and then lubricate all of the moving parts-it was a fast and easy way to get the job done-the external belt could be removed easily for this process and replaced with the original belt once the job was done--but the solvent destroyed the internal belt on the white machines so it had to be replaced with a new belt-basically it took longer to clean the white machine so they told people that the belt was not a good design....Dave McCallum does a very good job of explaining this quite clearly.

I hope this information is of some use to you.....
Thanks Darcene, so what it boils down to is that the internal belt doesn't seem to be likely to need replacing, but that I couldn't dunk the whole machine in something nasty to clean it?

And also that if the belt were to deteriorate, it can be replaced?

If that's the case, perhaps I can stop worrying, as I am highly unlikely to want to clean her that way. Many thanks.