Thread: copyright laws
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
whisper

I've been really interested in the copy right issue because my sister and i have been trying to sell items we make including afghans, quilts, totebags and so forth. Much of the time we just start sewing and see where it takes us but we also enjoy using other people's ideas and patterns. When I see something I like and admire I ask the designer if I can use it and offer to include their name and a link to their website with the item listing. I haven't been turned down yet. It's a plus for both. :) If I can't find any mention of whether it is copyrighted and use is prohibited what I do is what I would do in any case...I attribute the design to the designer. I do not want to take credit for someone's hard work. I have also pulled items from our website when I found out later on that something I made and listed was in fact not allowed to be used. Those are items I will use myself or give as christmas gifts - and won't spend my time making again.

The way I feel about it is that we should all work together to try and keep those "lost arts" alive and well. I want credit for the work I put in to it making the item but am very happy to give credit where credit is due!

Whisper

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures!