View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 PM
mamaw

I am basically a self-taught quilter, went to a few classes where you bring your project and they help you if you need it in 2005...that was all.
My first quilt was a lap-sized log cabin using Eleanor Burn's book.
I still have it, and it isn't sandwiched to quilt yet!!!! That is on my to-do list for this winter.
I like traditional quilts the best. I find they are easier to make and have great eye appeal.
I have given some as gifts and kept some.
I possess 2 quilts that are estimated to be around 100yrs. old or more that I purchased at yard sales for little to nothing and they are in mint condition. I just love them!!
I am a floater in the state guild which gives me access to their newsletter, able to take classes they offer, and get 10% off at some of the quilt shops. I do not belong to a local chapter. I do attend Material Girls, which is a gathering of quilters and knitters at a local quilt shop on the 3rd Friday of every month. We have dinner, work on our individual projects, and enjoy lots of chatter and Show-n-Tell.
No, I have never entered a quilt into any kind of show as of yet. I hope to in the future.
Yes, I try to encourage others to quilt because it is very relaxing and fun hobby. Love buying fabric too LOL.
I quilt because I like being home and having things to do besides housework and baking during the winter months. I also have always been one to have hobbies. Also enjoy cross stitch, flower gardening, and reading. Am in the process of doing my first wool applique project also.