View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Quilt Mom

Originally Posted by sarge1
Now, some help figuring out what I've got?! I can't find a model number on it; it seems there are pieces hiding inside the base (I hear them rattling around), but I don't know how to get them out; the bent piece of metal (see pic) seems to fit into a small hole on the base, and turn, but then nothing.This thing weighs about 150 lbs!
The serial number is at the bottom of the column on an ovel plate. It probably starts with a letter or two. If I can post the link right:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
this is where you can find the date, model and number of machines made in the manufacturing run. I would suggest cleaning (there are tutorials on the board done by lostn51) or having it cleaned, before you really get it fired up.

For my part, my newest machine is a 1979 Viking. That's my 'fancy stitch' machine. Then I have a Singer 206, two featherweights, and a vintage Kenmore that I am getting ready for my DD. My favorite is my mom's machine, though, and the one on which I learned to sew. I use them all at various times. They are wonderful. What I am looking for now is a treadle to use when the power goes out. (What confidence that expresses in my DH! He works for the local power plant! :lol: )