Thread: finally did it
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
wishiwerequilting

Originally Posted by niizh
As I am also a member of this club, thought it was a good time to ask about the retractable type rotary cutters. Have always use the olfa brand that does not retract. Have trained myself to always close blade if putting cutter down. (99.9%) This type is good because I am left handed. Can you get the retractable in left handed. Are these as good as the "original".
all you do is switch the side of the holder the blade is on, so it is universal (for right and left handed folks).
Do take care when changing the blade!
Love mine and think it is ergonomically much better than the straight handled ones. Mine you "squeeze" in the handle to get the blade to go down and when you put the cutter down, the blade automatically retracts. it's an olfa.
There are other brands that do the auto-safety feature, but i prefer this one, and you can lock it with a click of a button so that touching the handle will not make the blade move. (or if you are brave, it will keep the blade in the open position - not recommended, but i guess there may be some time you want to do that).
Hope you all heal from your wounds!