View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Butterflyblue

Originally Posted by Mattee
Too often I see LQS's that have (in my opinion) poorly thought out or designed classes, especially beginner's classes.
I want to take quilting classes, but only one (of three) local quilt stores in my area offers them (and I realize that as a resident of rural TX, I am VERY lucky to have that many within thirty miles). The one time I took a class there, it was called a "Quilt as You Go" class, but she spent all of the time showing us how to machine quilt, and never go to the "as you go" part, which is what I wanted, since I'd already quilted 3 or 4 throw quilts on my machine at that point. It was the first time she'd done the class, and it was obviously not well-planned. She did offer to let us come back and finish the class for free, but it never worked out for my schedule.

So although I love that store, and visit often, I am leary of taking classes there again.

I do appreciate that once when I went in there looking for a quarter inch foot the owner showed me how to use the settings on my machine and a foot I already had to do the same thing, and it cost me nothing. So I try to go in and buy fabric at full price when I can, but often I can't.