Thread: pattern size
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by denilynne
Ok all you wonderful experienced quilters i have a question, its probably a dumb one but here goes, i have a pattern i printed off line and it has the templates for a 9x9 block, my question is above the block it says (key block 37/100 actual size) does this mean i have to enlarge the templates to get it to the 9x9 size block if so how do i do that? Thank you for any help i can get..The pattern is Going to Chicago from quilt block library.com
Denise
Going to Chicago is a simple Jacobs Ladder/Railroad type pattern. As previously posted, you would cut all the little squares at 2 inches and all the triangles (HST's in quilter speak) at 2.5 inches before cutting in half diagonally. There is a simpler way to make the HST's, though. Cut 1 light and 1 dark square 2.5 inches. Mark a diagonal line on the back of the light square and lay it face down on the "right" side of the dark square. Now sew the 2 together by sewing a smidge less than 1/4inch away from each side of the line. Cut on the line you drew & press your now 2 little blocks open then trim to equal the same 2 inches as the square blocks. When you sew all the little 2 inch squares together, you will end up with a 9.5 inch unfinished block. When that block is put into a quilt, it will be 9 inches finished.