View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Derla

Who taught you how to quilt?
I'm pretty much self taught. I came from a quilting family and can remember sitting at the quilting frame with Mom's friends at their club meetings and doing some hand quilting. I had an appointment for a lesson at Joanne Fabrics when I decided to get serious about it, but when I went to my class, the person teaching (the manager at the time) was so much interested in the salesman who was there that I was not even acknowledged so I went home and did it on my own.

What pattern was the first quilt you made?My first quilt was a Double Irish Chain

Do you still have your 1st quilt?No - that was given to our eldest son.

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why?My favorite was a sampler - it was hand quilted and I gave that to our 2nd son and his wife. But the one in my collection that I treasure was made for me by my mother-in-law. She did it as she was losing her sight from her diabetes and the work is not good, but it means a lot to me.

What do you do with the quilts you make?I have made and given quilts to our 6 children, 16 grandchildren and 4 gr grand children and am now getting a stash of them made for future members of the family.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection?The oldest that I have was made about 1928 by my fraternal grandmother as a wedding present for my parents.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? No - I hate going to meetings!

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? No

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Yes

Why do you quilt? It is my creative outlet.

My first quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99404[/ATTACH]

Oldest quilt in my collection
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99405[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99399.jpe   attachment-99400.jpe