View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
jeanequilts

I made a baby quilt with a satin scalloped border, and several people have asked how I did it. This is my first post for a tutorial. I hope you will be able to understand my directions.

First,I cut strips of blanket binding into 6 inch strips. I alternated pink and white.

Then I sewed, with a basting stitch on my machine, two semi circles close together (about 1/8th of an inch apart) This must be done with a basting stitch, or it could be done by hand. Note the fold of the binding is away from the semi circles. I sewed this with contrasting thread so that, hopefully, it will show up in the pictures. But ordinarily I would use thread the same color as my fabric.

Here I pulled the top two threads to create a gather to the center. This is repeated on the other side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99662[/ATTACH]

Here both sides have been gathered. I used pins to wind the top threads around so they would stay in place until I could stitch them with my machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99666[/ATTACH]

Here I have used a zig-zag stitch to hold the gathers in place.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99668[/ATTACH]

I trimmed off the "tails". and Now it is ready to be attached to your border like you would a prairie point.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99670[/ATTACH]

Finished border!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99671[/ATTACH]

Finished quilt. :o)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99672[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99654.jpe   attachment-99655.jpe   attachment-99656.jpe   attachment-99657.jpe   attachment-99661.jpe  

attachment-99663.jpe   attachment-99665.jpe   attachment-99666.jpe   attachment-99667.jpe