View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
skydiver70

Who taught me to quilt: My grandmother and Mama.

What pattern was the first quilt I made: Dresden plate. Don't like the colors though, but it was made from scraps that we had back then (mid-1950's). I was a teenager then. I didn't quilt this one but I did piece the entire quilt and Mama quilted it for me.

Do I still have my first quilt: Yes

Which of my quilts is my favorite and why: The Umbrella Girl quilt that my Mama made. She did it probably in the 40's and always said it was her favorite and she would never get rid of it. Around 2004, she said, "Mary I want you to have this quilt" and I said Mama, "you said you would never get rid of it". She said, But I want you to have it because you have been so good to me. She passed away in 2009. What a treasure she gave me. It was great that she gave it to me then, since the first year she was in the nursing home, my sister broke into Mama's house and stole all her quilts that she had made. She had so many beautiful quilts.

What do you do with the quilts you make: I keep some and give some away torelatives who have helped me.

What is the oldest quilt in my collection? Probably one my MIL made in the 30's and a Flower Garden made by my grandmother who lived to be 100 and 2 months. It was probably made in the 30's.

Don't belong to any guild.

I have never entered a quilt in a show or fair, but entered a block in the Wal-Mart quilt contest a few years ago and won first prize at that particular store. They used the blocks from different stores to make a quilt, but I never did see it.

I have tried to encourage my sister to try, but she doesn't want to.

I quilt to help me deal with depression which I have suffered from for many, many years.