Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 AM
dsb38327

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
Dorothy,
I have 2 feeders and have lots of hummingbirds this year. But the past week or so, there have been bees/wasps at the feeders. Is there any way to discourage the bees? The hummers don't seem to mind them. We enjoy watching them.
You must be very busy keeping those feeders filled. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I have no solution for the bees and wasps. Someone said they are attracted to a certain color (?yellow?) feeder holes. I have had white and yellow plugs on the feeder holes and have not noticed a difference one over the other. I am not bothered right now with bees and wasps but at times they have been so bad I get stung opening the feeders to clean them. I did find a solution for the ants and was happy for that. Where the birds don't mind the bees and wasps, they will not feed from sugar water that has a bug or ants in it.
My birds started coming in 'in force' yesterday (August 19). We had a 5" rain. They seem to always come and go before and just after a storm or large rain. They ate about 1 gallon of sugar water yesterday. The air was full of birds. It is very hard to get them in a photo but I will continue to try.
Sing out ladies and gentlemen. Tell us where the birds are.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100033.jpe   attachment-100034.jpe   attachment-100035.jpe   attachment-100185.jpe   attachment-100253.jpe