Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 AM
vivientan

I just started to learn machine quilting and will be working my first project, which is a single-size quilt. I would like to machine quilt using the stitch in the ditch method as I'm not very confident with free motion quilting yet. Some questions I have:

1. If I'm using a nylon monofilament thread for the top, should I use a matching cotton thread in the bobbin for the back? I tried this on a practice quilt but the bobbin thread shows on the top and no matter how I adjusted the thread tension, it still shows. Any advice?

2. I have some spools of DMC machine embroidery thread, 50 wt. Are they suitable for machine quilting for my top? They look rather thin to me and I'm not sure if they are strong enough to hold the quilt layers together and withstand frequent washing.

3. For stitching in the ditch, is it advisable to always start stitching from the middle section?

4. If I do decide to use a cotton thread for the top instead of monofilament thread, what colour should I use? I'm quilting a scrap quilt which has both light and dark fabrics and find it difficult to decide on a suitable colour.

Thanks and looking forward to good advice!