Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

I am an SID-er. So far I have used the invisible thread on one quilt. Did not like the way it handled. It took forever to trim all the pokey little ends. Can't remember if there was a problem with tension.

Are you standing the spool UPRIGHT? I actually put mine in a cup as a spool holder.
Not all invisibles are created equal. Some handle better than others.

I switched to a "regular" thread in the top and bobbin. Sometimes I match color, sometimes I don't. On my scrappies, I often go with a variegated thread in the basic color line. Granted, in the ditch you're not supposed to see the thread - but some of my quilting is more along the "meander around the ditch" and I don't mind seeing the multi-color thread.

I would test the embroidery thread on a potholder to see how it feels and handles.

I roll my quilt and start approximately in the middle (that is on the top of the center line) working one side in that orientation. Then I turn the quilt, roll the other side and SID the rest.

Now I find that the success in SID depends largely on a good sandwich. (So go make yourself a PBJ -lol) Seriously, I tape the backing fabric real taut with painter's tape and layer the batting and top with great care to smooth out all the puckers and any excess. Then I pin baste no less than hand-width apart. Last 2 quilts did not have any SID puckers in EITHER direction. I was pleased as punch!

I also take many breaks when SID-ing. Tired eyes AND tired shoulders can lead to the quilt being pulled out of the ditch. (Of course, more than 2 glasses of wine have a similar effect. lol)

Have fun.