View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by sunnycat
Originally Posted by pocoellie
Whenever working with bias edges, make sure your fabrics are starched stiff, the stiffer the better. It will make the bias "behave" better and when pressing will hold the press better. How did you make them-by putting 2 squares together, then sewing diagonally or did you cut the squares, cut diagonally, then sew? All good advice offered on here, I think.

But, I do think you did a pretty good job, regardless.
I put 2 squares together, then sewed diagonally.

My fabrics weren't stiff at all. Part of my problem is that the muslin kept shifting and stretching while I was tracing the template shape.
you can cut squares,(I do them 3/8" or so bigger than needed) then cut diagonally for your tri's.
you are sewing bias, so pin at the end of the seam. then press & square up each little block. then sew blocks for the pinwheel. Pin is not a dirty word. remember when you square blocks up that you need to have a ruler with the 45 degree on it so you can lay that on the diagonal for squaring. you usually take a little off each side instead of all off one side.
you might want to try one of the methods where you
sew on squares, then cut diagonally. google HST methods.
startching the strips BEFORE cutting helps too.
the accurate 1/4" seam is so important. test yourself before doing zillions of tri's. good luck !