Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Cordelia

Well, my mother has fallen in love with the winter version of the mystery quilt. (I let her look at them.)

BUT, she says it's too hard and complicated! (sighs.)

The first clue was easy.

Before I post the second clue, I wanted to do them and make sure there's no unforeseen complications.

The next clue can either be paper piecing or you can rotary cut and piece. But, because I don't want you to worry about measuring and seam allowance variances, I've designed the rest of it to be paper pieced. It will be more precise if you paper piece them.

I'll provide rotary cutting directions and the paper piece template. You can decide which way you want to do them. (I haven't rotary cut and pieced, so I can't vouch for how accurate it will turn out. I'm paper piecing.)

Please make a scrap note of this and keep it with your blocks so you can refer to it without having to come in here.

VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU PAPER PIECE:

When I post the foundation piece templates for you to download and print, you MUST CHECK the following:

Download the file at the link I post. It will be the block template for you to print. It will be a PDF document.

There is a printer button icon in the PDF document you'll use to print. A print menu will open up where you will choose how many copies to print, etc.

There is an option that you MUST check. In that print menu there is a section called Page Handling. It has a spot where you choose how many copies to print. Under that is an option called PAGE SCALING. It will probably say: Shrink to printable area. CHANGE THAT option to NONE. Make sure you check this section every single time before you print anything.

I overlooked that the first time I printed a block and it shrunk the template. I was perplexed and it took me some time before I realized the problem. The blocks have to be a precise size. Before you use any printed template, just to be sure, make sure you measure the dimensions of the block on the paper with your ruler.

I'll post the next clue tomorrow morning with the links. Keep a note with you about the page scaling print option. The name of the pdf document has the dimensions the template MUST BE. Please measure it with your ruler before you do it. If it measures different, then check the page scaling option again. I don't know if it defaults to "shrink to printable area." You DON'T want the shrink option. It must be set to NONE.

I'm sorry for all the bold emphasis. I just don't want anyone to miss this and make a bunch of blocks that won't fit and waste time and fabric. I'll keep reminding about this, so don't be offended. I know you're all experienced quilters, but this was a computer issue. That darn print option threw me for a loop and I couldn't figure out the problem at first. It took me a while before I even thought to check the print settings.