Thread: WALMART
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
june6995

Donna, I suspect this store has done a good business in the fabrics department and the decision to keep it has been made. Good for all the customers who support their fabric department.

One of the 2 Wal-Mart where I shop has also brought in new machines and their notions wall was re-set a couple of weeks ago. That was good to see. But they have two tables full of big bolts of fabric that is not selling, even for $1. a yard. It appears to be something that has been stored in a warehouse for about 40 years. Double knits and other weird stuff. Great piles of stuff I wonder if they will ever sell.

This one particular store is to be enlarged and made into a super center, with the idea that fabrics would no longer be sold. Now I wonder what is going to happen. The manager freely talks about what she knows and discusses it with customers. I find that is a helpful attitude.

For those who have lost Wal-Mart in your area, there are not many places left to buy inexpensive fabrics, except....Ben Franklin. Check their web site to see if they have a store in your area. I stopped at one off the Interstate yesterday and found about 2 dozen bolts of fabric, rolled on cardboard and fastened with a rubber band. Their broadcloth sells for $1.99 while their ad indicates they have some fabrics for $1. a yard. That would be the stores that are designated as Craft stores. Find one....if you can. This is a trip back about 40 years, but you will find it fun to visit. I found some fabric that I was needing for a border and another that I wanted for a quilt. I found 2 pieces of fabric I could use...7 yards in all.