Thread: Neon Surprise
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by joy
To Patrice

I don't have a very large stash as I have only been doing this for a short time but it is getting bigger .......

Could you please tell us the size of your biggest block.... did you cut out some that size and then cut some down smaller?

You have every reason to be proud.....

I have just put two borders on a quilt and have a third one waiting... unfortunately, I have stretched them when I ironed them... not when I sewed them as I was very careful about that..... do you have any ideas as to what I can do and would it be making the situation worse if I put a third border on? If anyone knows it would be you.....
all the blocks are 8". because they're all different and used randomly, the layout creates optical illusions. the blocks can be resized to any multiple of 4". (unless you're the same kind of insane as marcella and yvonne, in which case i guess you could shrink them to 2" blocks. LOL)

if i had made 12" blocks i would have needed only one of each to make a nice lap size. mine has 30 blocks, so i used a few more than once.

back to the border thing ... if the borders were the right size to start, and you did stretch them while ironing, they might shrink back to size with application of water and pressing or the dryer. if that doesn't work, then the others are absolutely right. remove and re-engineer them.

the stretching thing is why the experts always stress "press" don't "iron". it may be the ONLY thing the Quilt Police are good for. LOL

don't feel bad. we've all done it. i've done it more than once. i'll probably forget and do it again. life goes on. ;-)

and ... Norah ... i am at least blonde for real. as to the rest ... i also prefer my imagination to my reality. LOL